Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm A Photographer

In this day and age we hear this all too often, "I'm a photographer" or even better when someone is looking to get wedding photos taken, "My Uncle/Friend has a really good camera" I don't doubt that they do have a good camera, anyone can buy a good camera these days, they are becoming very affordable for everyone, but the truth of the matter is, it doesn't really matter what kind of camera you or your uncle or friend have, if you they don't know how to use it you still won't get great photos.
I decided to put this to the test while I was in Vegas last week... all the photos I posted below from my trip (with the exception of the cell phone pics) came from my wife"s point and shoot camera, but I thought it would be really great to put this to a real test. As we were walking through one of the many hotels I came across a really neat looking little fountain, so I gave the camera to a random person in the mall and let them take a photo of the fountain....



After that I took the same camera, still a point and shoot, and used it to it's full potential and created the photo below...



I think it's pretty safe to assume that this demonstration proves that the camera does not make the photo, you still need a photographer to turn the images into something that will take your breath away.

2 comments:

Patty Boge. said...

Well said Steve! It's like saying I'm a good writer because I have a really expensive, fancy pen!!! Great shot!

Holly said...

Ditto. So true, and you would know. That is my goal, not to aquire all the fancy equipment, but to better educate myself to create beautiful shots using skill and knowledge rather than relying on a "good" camera.